Monday, November 01, 2004

happy monday

Everyone thank God for your teeth. I'm having a heck of a time with mine and I can't eat a blessed thing without a problem. Maybe I'll lose weight. I don't recommend this diet. Gack!

Started reading Jo Beverley's Skylark, which is intriguing. Jo can get me worried right away. When a writer makes me long to give her characters a comforting hug and make everything all right for them, then she's hooked me!

I could give a lecture on hooks, but I'll just say that a hook isn't simply a witty or clever opening line. In fact, the opening line can be boring as heck--"She opened the door and was surprised by what she found." There's some bland prose. But do you wonder what she found behind that door? That's the hook. What the "hook" should do is make the reader both understand what's going on and want to read more. Tricky business.

End of lecture.

I need to dive into Murder in High Places today, so here I go. Deep breath--plunge.

Jennifer
www.jennifersromances.com

1 Comments:

At 11:02 AM , Blogger Shankar said...

hi there,

the name, writer's blog caught my eye...hehe..just wanted to see how a published writer writes her blog...i know its rather silly..nevertheless it caught my attension.

oh and i hope your tooth gets better..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home