Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Now we come to my favorite day

Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday of the year. It doesn't have the stress of Christmas--no gifts, tree, lights, decorations, etc etc etc. It's not a religious holiday so everyone celebrates without feeling left out.

It's family and friends over for good food and drink, a four-day weekend, football, a nice breather before the madness of Christmas descends. What's not to love?

In my family I'm always in charge of desserts and breads. Today (Wednesday) is the day I drag out my Julia Child cookbooks and make pie dough, pumpkin pie, pudding for my dh and anyone else who loathes pumpkin, and homemade applesauce.

I cook it all from scratch, which means the house smells wonderful all day long. While this slow cooking is going on, I write. Thanksgiving cooking gives me this wonderful burst of creativity, and I bang out stories like I'm on fire. For some reason I'm more creative these upcoming 4-5 days than any other time of the year.

I intend to bask in it! I love Thanksgiving. Even with all the dirty dishes that go with it.

BTW, our contest (see previous post) is still going on. We'll finish on the 30th and draw the winner on Dec. 1. Bonnie and I both have books due Dec. 1, so we'll be extra excited if we get them done!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
We get bread and dessert detail, too. I bake a French loaf and a pumpkin bread each year and make a pumpkin cheesecake. I cheat though and use the canned pumpkin from the store. Believe it or not, my grandmother taught me that trick. In her own words "Oh, no. Doing pumpkin from scratch is way too hard and messy. Why bother when you can buy it at the store?" I followed her advice:) Grandma's always right, isn't she?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home